Monday, December 21, 2009

Thoughts on a Nose

Last night Pedro and I sat and talked in the cool darkness of our back patio while sipping cups of hot coffee. It was comforting and sweet and special and we need to make a habit of doing this all summer long!

Our conversation meandered along many paths, including of course the hope and uncertainty of our boys' homecoming from Haiti and wondering what life will be like with two new little people under our roof. We discussed the positive aspects of summer vacation and the challenges as well. On the subject of parenting we agreed that we want and need to be more intentional with our time and energy and making sure our children each receive the individual attention needed for their emotional well-being.

Somewhere along the way our conversation found itself on the subject of noses, and I wondered out loud what sort of nose Eden would have? I half expected my husband would have to take a moment to figure out to whom I was referring, and I found his immediate response both reassuring and amusing.

"An eagle beak," Pedro stated with certainty, moving his finger along the bridge of his nose to accentuate the description. While he doesn't have an "eagle beak," his dad certainly does and we both chuckled as we envisioned meeting our baby in Heaven and recognizing this distinctive Garcia trait on her.

There is something about the intimacy of a relationship weathered and shaped by sorrows and joys that creates such a wellspring of emotion. Though I would never have asked to experience a miscarriage, or adoption loss, or the unending wait we have faced in our Haitian adoption, each experience has bonded our hearts together so that we can even find a smile in the remembrance of something that once brought sadness.

I am so thankful for my husband, and for the chance to celebrate this special season at his side. I am truly blessed.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaa! Don't tell your Chilean neighbors that you DARED to drink your coffee outside! What if a cold breeze came up and froze your face while you were drinking! (At least, that's what I've been warned about many many times! LOL)